COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spray paints and bottle points of choice

+2
ASPrintingPress
dan-knee rock
6 posters

Go down

Spray paints and bottle points of choice Empty Spray paints and bottle points of choice

Post  dan-knee rock Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 pm

When customizing/painting vinyl toys such as squadts, munnys, dunnys, etc...what type of paint do you guys like to use?

I use Tamiya Spray Paint whenever possible.
I've also used Dupli Color automotive paint a few times as well

As far as bottle paints, I've used Tamiya, Gunze, Mr Hobby, Liquitex..etc....all of which I have to thin out.

Has anyone used Model Master Spray paint for vinyl? If so how did it held up compared to the likes of Tamiya...what about the Krylon route?
dan-knee rock
CAD Grunt

http://www.fittedhawaii.com/hanahou/

Back to top Go down

Spray paints and bottle points of choice Empty Re: Spray paints and bottle points of choice

Post  ASPrintingPress Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 pm

I love me some Monster Kolor

http://www.monsterkolor.com/

Also V-color but you'll never find it in the US. It dries almost instantly when it hits vinyl which is GREAT!!!

I should also say I use Tamiya for any time I'm doing 3A stuff, pretty great to get that flat look.
ASPrintingPress
ASPrintingPress
CAD Too Buku

http://asprintingpress.com

Back to top Go down

Spray paints and bottle points of choice Empty Re: Spray paints and bottle points of choice

Post  whacko Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 am

I am a big fan of the Walmart brand "Color Place" paints for basic colors. They are super cheap, give great coverage and dry instantly. On the other hand I hate Krylon as it takes forever to dry, runs like crazy and reacts badly to Krylon brand finishes. The only thing Krylon has going for it is its huge range of colors and the fact you can get it anywhere.

For bottle paints I usually go with Testors enamels. They are designed for use on plastic models they are incredibly durable on plastics. Also they dry fast, blend well for custom colors and can be thinned with Testors enamel thinner or with water. Plus they come in a wide range of colors, work well on plastics, are very durable and super cheap.

Last edited by whacko on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  manny Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:46 am

I just started using testor. I cannot believe how well it reacts with vinyl... The paint looks like the plastic itself rather than a painted surface. I would suggest giving that a try
manny
manny
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Saraswati Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:57 pm

I was just looking at the Monstor Kolor website (thanks ASPrintPress) and was wondering - how thinkly does that coat? Can it be applied thin and still retain its luminescence?
Saraswati
Saraswati
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  ASPrintingPress Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Yes, thick or thin, it drys so quick it's nice to do a couple quick thin coats.
ASPrintingPress
ASPrintingPress
CAD Too Buku

http://asprintingpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:29 pm

ASPrintingPress wrote:Yes, thick or thin, it drys so quick it's nice to do a couple quick thin coats.

No matter what paint you use, it is better to build up thin coats than to put on one thick coat. You generally end up with a much more durable (and if you do it right) more even finish.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 am

Those that use Monster Kolor, do you use the spray cans or an airbrush?

Going to try out some spray cans, I suck with my airbrush.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  blindboxx2334 Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm

gregm wrote:Those that use Monster Kolor, do you use the spray cans or an airbrush?

Going to try out some spray cans, I suck with my airbrush.
just to make sure, the paints that are like the one pictured below are for air brush applications only? i see too much success trying to brush some of those paints on. silent
Spray paints and bottle points of choice Monsterkolor

also, since ive only painted with graff paint and a little brush painting here and there, is there a good site that kinda gives you the ins and outs of air brushing? what is a decent airbrush to get started with? thanks for all the help in advance. i didnt know monster kolor had all that stuff on their online store!

edit:
im pretty shore thats airbrush only since i now see the brushable colors on their site.. well anyone want to help me with some airbrush info?
blindboxx2334
blindboxx2334
CAD Born Again Hard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down