COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting a Squadt: Not Step by Step - A Work in Progress

+28
Drake79
Silver
ilovefreestufftoo
kuhwinters
patrick40
dan-knee rock
alarment
geopina
ROACHSHACK138
CankleBreaker
niskio
Louhemp007
Are-Jay
jandrolex8
ludok
edstuff
ontheDL
LonerStoner
Teimaru
cripery
Colossus of Destiny
JasperF
slinky42
zmigol
mechanizer
mazdevilz
Takemaru
itsa_mia
32 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Painting a Squadt:  Not Step by Step - A Work in Progress - Page 2 Empty Re: Painting a Squadt: Not Step by Step - A Work in Progress

Post  Guest Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:54 am

CoD makes an excellent point. Must use caution when putting Acetone on vinyl. I haven't had any problems with Squadts. That doesn't mean there might not be some if you are not careful. I always strip off the paint and then give everything a thorough washing with soap and water. I would not recommend leaving the Acetone on the vinyl but you will notice that visibly it evaporates quickly.

Sources for paint that I use.

Rustoleum - Home Depot, Lowes, and some Wal-Mart stores although not all have what I use.
Posca paint pens - http://www.durablesupply.com/
Belton Moldow Premium - http://artprimo.com/catalog/index.php

The blue gassed and nozzel helmets shown in this thread was a test I did that involved leaving the original paint. It did not work at all with Belton, the paint did not stick and cracks/flakes off easily. I suggest stripping, primer, and then paint of your choice for best results.

Sunday I'll be posting a real installment for this thread. MikeyK is coming over to help take pictures and we will show stripping, priming, and painting.

Feel free to continue to ask any questions.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Painting a Squadt:  Not Step by Step - A Work in Progress - Page 2 Empty Re: Painting a Squadt: Not Step by Step - A Work in Progress

Post  Guest Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Another rainout. Sad

MikeyK came over just as it started to rain. Couldn't get out to go anything, again. I'll try to post more info as soon as I can. Has anyone tried stripping a Squadt yet? Don't hesitate to post questions if you are beyond the step of stripping the original paint. I know the order is all messed up here but getting to the end result is what matters.

Sorry everyone!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  niskio Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

wow
you've got a great idea and a lot of courage, I think they are pieces that you bought x2
x3
Nice work Exclamation clap What a Face
niskio
niskio
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Louhemp007 Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33 am

I just stripped a nkd nozzel this weekend, found the tip of the mask and head were GID, i also primered with valspar primer. Stripped with acetone and washed afterward. The valspar goes on great if anyone is looking for a easy to get primer, plus they have paint primer combos as well.
Louhemp007
Louhemp007

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 am

Great! I have found a variety of different parts in Squadts I've stripped. Have some parts from bluey. Wonder if I bought enough I could build one complete. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:27 am

squadts are made up of various parts? really?
that might explain something
the arms on one of my nkd nozl are very very soft
if i pressed firm enough i could flatten the end that goes into the body
i wonder if its gid vinyl reacting with paint
my other nkd isnt like that

now im curious which parts you have found on what specimens
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

http://squadstlive.thecomicseries.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JasperF Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 am

itsa_mia wrote:squadts are made up of various parts? really?
that might explain something
the arms on one of my nkd nozl are very very soft
if i pressed firm enough i could flatten the end that goes into the body
i wonder if its gid vinyl reacting with paint
my other nkd isnt like that

now im curious which parts you have found on what specimens

I have a NKD Nozzle as well that has a glowing cheek. Very very faint but it glows haha
JasperF
JasperF
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:53 am

I've taken so many apart that it is tough to say which parts came where. I have two nozzels that had gid blue for the hose. Did find another body that was regular GID. Brightest GID piece I have ever seen!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:23 am

thats crazy
so theres blueys bits kicking about
i wonder if theres gid jack masks hidden under nkd disguises lol
this is messing with my brain blueGID blueGID blueGID
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  ontheDL Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Hahaha! Next thing we know, freestuff is gonna be stripping all his squadts in an attempt to assemble a blue GID Laughing

Looking forward to the next update. And hopefully we get some NKDs soon because I have a few things I wanna try out!
ontheDL
ontheDL
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 pm

ontheDL wrote:Hahaha! Next thing we know, freestuff is gonna be stripping all his squadts in an attempt to assemble a blue GID Laughing

Looking forward to the next update. And hopefully we get some NKDs soon because I have a few things I wanna try out!

Anthony decided to go a different route. Laughing

I'll try to get an update together this weekend, really sorry it has taken so long everyone!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Wow, thats interesting. Now I know I'm not going crazy, when I turn off the lights I noticed my NKD Nozzel has a very faint glow to him! blueGID
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 am

Would the acetone method work on the soft rubber flippers that come on the Fr0gs or would it be too harsh? I spray painted a pair but need to strip so I can repaint it... any advice?
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 pm

CankleBreaker wrote:Would the acetone method work on the soft rubber flippers that come on the Fr0gs or would it be too harsh? I spray painted a pair but need to strip so I can repaint it... any advice?
No idea since I don't know what material they are actually made from.  Wouldn't try it unless I was willing to throw them away.

UPDATE:

Absolutely nothing new to report. Haven't been able to do any painting in months. It has been rainy and humid! Besides which, work has taken all my free time. I am about to quit this job so that will not likely give me more free time as I will be self-employed after that. One of these days I will get back to painting some Squadts, only have half a dozen or so already in process. Still glad to answer any questions that I can so don't hesitate to ask!

Probably missed them but has anyone posted any pics of stuff they have painted??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:08 am

The flippers are made of a soft PVC type rubber, any ideas Greg?

EDIT: I stripped the spray paint w/ rubbing alcohol, no issues.

EDIT #2: I respray painted the flippers w/ a matte black spray paint, however it doesn't seem like its drying properly. Doesn't seem like its adhering to the vinyl... looks glossy and is still tacky.
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:17 am

im hoping to grab some supplies tomorrow and see how this goes
wondering if i need to buy a clear coat (matt) afterwards to keep the paint on
i suspect ill end up at home depot for this stuff
study

oct 14 edit: take 2
here's what im going to try next

Painting a Squadt:  Not Step by Step - A Work in Progress - Page 2 Yuiyui005_zps865d818e

Last edited by itsa_mia on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  ontheDL Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:46 am

Greg...HALP!
ontheDL
ontheDL
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 pm

ontheDL wrote:Greg...HALP!
ive run into a problem

the primer is still very tacky on the arms (rustoleum primer ultra cover 2x)
i know they wont dry if it hasnt happened already

in hindsight i think it would have been best to leave the og paint and just spray ontop
(even on og i notice sometimes the paint doesnt 'stick' to the rubbery arms)

looking suggestions plz
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  edstuff Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 pm

If the primer you applied is enamel it will not dry on bare vinyl. I had this issue with a munny once.
edstuff
edstuff
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 pm

thanks, its not labeled but ill assume it is enamel
the body/head seem fine but the arms are a different substance

i guess my only option is restrip the primer and just go straight paint?
someones painted arms out there, what u do? study
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  edstuff Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 pm

You can use primer just make sure it's acrylic. Keep in mind I suck at painting so as far as technique you're on your own. Laughing 
edstuff
edstuff
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  ROACHSHACK138 Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:09 am

Sorry for bringing an old thread up but has anyone ever have any expirience with air brushing? Or any oplinions on air brush vs. spray paint?
ROACHSHACK138
ROACHSHACK138
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  geopina Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 am

I would say use what you have. airbrush is great if you have it , if not then you would need to buy the air brush(adjustable- meaning thin to wide) compressor or compressed air cans, keeping it clean.
Ive been using spraycans, i like the rustoleum (primers)from home depot or lowes, Blicks has Montana spray cans with tons of colors.
i think you can get more detail with a airbrush.
oh and dry brushing works great for detail as well.
geopina
geopina
CAD Born Again Hard

Back to top Go down

Post  ROACHSHACK138 Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:44 am

Appreciate that! My technique is sloppy when it comes to spray painting. I can never it get it even, so it always comes out sticky after drying.
ROACHSHACK138
ROACHSHACK138
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:17 am

Always do several light thin coats and allow plenty of drying time in between. Good thing you brought this thread up becus I'm gonna be trying to spray paint a figure soon too!
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next