COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Xbox Controller

+2
whacko
DismantleDesign
6 posters

Go down

Custom Xbox Controller Empty Custom Xbox Controller

Post  DismantleDesign Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 pm

This is the only place I felt I could ask this since you guys do so well customizing the toys. I want to customize my Xbox360 controller and I want to modify if not recreate the middle/dashboard button (the one that glows with the X). If I can only modify the piece I want to remove the metal piece and maybe use some sort of clay to place over the green piece and cover the holes, smooth it out, maybe emboss a shape/logo into it. What materials should i use for this? I can't use any oven drying clays because it will melt the plastic green piece. Help. Thanks.

Last edited by DismantleDesign on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DismantleDesign
DismantleDesign

Back to top Go down

Custom Xbox Controller Empty Re: Custom Xbox Controller

Post  whacko Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:19 am

DismantleDesign wrote:This is the only place I felt I could ask this since you guys do so well customizing the toys. I want to customize my Xbox360 controller and I want to modify if not recreate the middle/dashboard button (the one that glows with the X). If I can only modify the piece I want to remove the metal piece and maybe use some sort of clay to place over the green piece and cover the holes, smooth it out, maybe emboss a shape/logo into it. What materials should i use for this? I can't use any oven drying clays because it will melt the plastic green piece. Help. Thanks.

I have found a substance called Magic Sculp to be a great product for sculpting on things you cannot bake. It is a two part epoxy that has a very fine grain like clay. You mix it up in equal parts and model just like you would clay. It is paintable, sandable and thinnable with water and fairly non-toxix. Our own Motorbot turned me on to it and he uses it for most if not all of his custom toys, it should be perfect for your needs. The working time is supposed to be about an hour, but if you thin it down with water, or smooth it with water you can extend the drying time. Let it set for at least 24 hours before trying to sand/paint.

I buy mine from this guy on eBay. The Morezmore Estate.
His prices are good, he sells small samples so you can try it out cheap before you buy a large tub and he ships quickly. I find the 1lb size to be good for most medium to small projects (like your XBox face) but if you plan on using a lot, get the 5lb buckets. The stuff lasts forever.

You might be able to find places that sells this stuff online, but other than this eBay place no decent art supplier had it.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  DismantleDesign Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:22 am

What about shapelock?
DismantleDesign
DismantleDesign

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:27 am

I have never used Shapelock, but just from quickly reading up on it online it seems like it might be a pain to work with, since you have the melt the granules that come in the jar in boiling water to activate it, and then I presume you need to shape it or press it into a mold before it cools and hardens. The Shapelock website offers free ($5 to ship) samples, try it out and let me know.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 am

wish I could help bro.
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  DismantleDesign Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 am

k. I just bought 1 lb of white magic sculp. Hopefully it works. If not, its not that expensive.
DismantleDesign
DismantleDesign

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:33 am

It should work.
It works just like clay and sticks well to pretty much any surface.
I have used it on soft and hard vinyl toys and metal, and it has worked well on all of those surfaces.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  DismantleDesign Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:55 am

What I am doing is getting black and silver paint and making my controller look like an apple product since i like apple. I will replace the x with the apple logo and make the controller black and silver to match my mac book pro. Black paint on the buttons and joysticks and silver on the rest. I bought some black paint, krylon fusion, for plastics and if i cant find a matte silver in that kind, i will have to spring for the adhesive promoter and buy regular silver paint. wish me luck.
DismantleDesign
DismantleDesign

Back to top Go down

Post  Assburrito! Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:31 am

DismantleDesign wrote:What I am doing is getting black and silver paint and making my controller look like an apple product since i like apple. I will replace the x with the apple logo and make the controller black and silver to match my mac book pro. Black paint on the buttons and joysticks and silver on the rest. I bought some black paint, krylon fusion, for plastics and if i cant find a matte silver in that kind, i will have to spring for the adhesive promoter and buy regular silver paint. wish me luck.

Definitely post some pics of the process. This sounds like a really cool project. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Assburrito!
Assburrito!
CAD Too Buku

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerosedesign

Back to top Go down

Post  DismantleDesign Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:52 am

Here is the controller disassembled: (I forgot to put the faceplate and back in the photo, which will both be silver)

Custom Xbox Controller 3702966124_9d07db3869_o

The below pic is everything I want to paint black. You can see how I taped the LB/RB piece so just the buttons will be painted black. The covered area will be painted silver later. Also, I rigged a cover for the motherboard so I could paint the thumbsticks too. I will be using the krylon fusion on the thumbsticks, but am not sure if it will stay. Maybe I will put a clear coat on it.

Custom Xbox Controller 3702965448_2d5df396b2_o

I am working on a way to protect the motherboard when I paint the LT/RT, which cant be seen, but is underneath the paper shown here.

Custom Xbox Controller 3702966364_96e4bc0956_o

Here is the dashboard button that i want to use the sculpt material on. I am not going to paint the clear piece that holds it because then I wont be able to see the lights through it.

Custom Xbox Controller 3702158563_14d9bf10d6_o

Still working on a way to still show letters on the ABXY buttons, but as of right now they will be solid black. If I run into any problems with the paint rubbing off the controllers when I use them, I will redo the paint and keep it as a souvenir.
DismantleDesign
DismantleDesign

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 am

can't wait to see the finished product.
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysea420 Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

BigC wrote:can't wait to see the finished product.

+1

Very Happy
jaysea420
jaysea420
CAD Born Again Hard

http://www.yzzerdd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ontheDL Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Yeah, sounds really cool. I wouldn't paint the joysticks though. Seems like they'd get all sticky.
ontheDL
ontheDL
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  DismantleDesign Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:32 am

ontheDL wrote:Yeah, sounds really cool. I wouldn't paint the joysticks though. Seems like they'd get all sticky.

I am using Kyrlon Fusion. It is a special new spray paint formula that is made for things that are plastics and other similar materials. Normal spray paint would not stay attached to it. The fusion will basically dye the joysticks. If needed, I can always add a clear coat spray to them on top of the fusion paint.

I can't find a nice silver in the fusion brand. The closest thing is Satin Pewter Gray. I may have to pick up some adhesive promoter at Lowes or an auto parts store and find some spray paint that resembles aluminum silver.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam85017.htm may just work.
DismantleDesign
DismantleDesign

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down