COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics!

+24
doomsDAY
jgreds107
JEEMAC
Photo David
haarp
gua_ping
Applejuice
manny
benswift
ussross547
Admin
fender
Silver
Ballou34
Gatiio
yanyaniscool
LonerStoner
chiprender
mazdevilz
jorester
el_payaso_loco
devito1195
itsa_mia
fplus
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! Empty Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics!

Post  fplus Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 am

Been working what feels like non stop this past couple months, trying to balance finishing up the corrupter project, and pecking away at custom commissions when I can. Been working on this piece for a while now, and I took more pictures during the process than usual, so I though it would be fun to share some shots of this progressed from this:
Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 6691713245_2a22fa2875_z
To a finished piece.

So, the Collector loved everything about the sketch, but we agreed that he would be better suited with a staff than a sword, so I kept that in the back of my mind while the piece started to take shape:

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 6865681020_ddb4650219_z

It starts with several sessions of magic sculpt, each leaf being hand shaped and laid down, as opposed to sculpted into a mass on the figure. This is a bit more intensive and has it's own unique challenges, but I think it gives a better layered look that I was going for.

Everything was primed and then base coated with flat black spray. I had a can of a nice green color laying around, so I gave the body a quick hit of that as well, to help get the base color going:
Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7020000185_c1aca52ab9_z

Then, layered on some greens, and started painting on the veins into the ivy, which took a bit of time. The white stuff on the baldric strap is a layered paste, which gives a really nice texture to make it look more like a weathered leather.
Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7024942241_c414fc493c_z

I didn't take many pics of the head process, as it was pretty ugly at first. The trick to this was doing lots of subtle passes, to help blend the wood, and bring out contrasts without making it look deliberate or too unnatural.
Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7020021955_f1c03705ba_z

Working mostly in shades of browns and yellow ochres, I then gave the head several glazes with purples and blues to help really lock in all the tones and lines in the mask.
Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 6873897070_83db783bee_z

Then, the staff started to take shape:
Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7020000819_9d2ed6d9c0_z

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7020000315_e5332cdc24_z

You can kind of see the shimmer of iridescent green on it, but only the owner of the piece will get this effect to the fullest. Razz

It's mostly finished at that point, but I'll end up giving everything a couple quick hits with the airbrush to help sell the glows, and shadows I want in the piece.

After some final details, and several varnishes to help protect everything. The Guardian is finished!

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7030400803_748e45c0ef_z

The Banteshians are not a people per se, but the spirit of the forest itself. The Majik energy of the forest God Bantesh, is concentrated and born into a tangible warrior weaved from the resources of the forest. They serve as vigilant sentries, guarding The more important and secretive groves and villages of Bantesh's domain. Although the guards often take the form of a solitary being, they are actually comprised of many consciousnesses, as several spirits work in tandem to control and manipulate the visage of the guard, making them incredibly difficult for mortals to best in combat, as should be expected when dealing with a sliver of a God itself.

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 6884300278_e30feb8d35_z

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7030400945_901a081dc3_z

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7030401023_a394685053_z

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7030401105_91dcc85357_z

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7030401295_f227e1a5b9_z

I'm really happy with how the staff holder turned out too!

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 6884301032_d89148eb5e_z

The shoulder pads have small dichroic glass beads in them a friend made for me. I'll definitely be working with these more in future pieces, as they have a truly unique effect in person.

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 7030401635_f28e597e12_z

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! 6884301258_f0477c0b9d_z

I think I have five or six more squadts to do in the next few months, and I'm really excited about the variety and challenges of all the designs! I'll be accepting limited commissions going forward to work on other projects in the future, so if someone wants to line up a piece, let me know, as I'm booking up quickly this year.
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

http://www.fplusnever.com

Back to top Go down

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! Empty Re: Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics!

Post  itsa_mia Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:59 am

seeing wip photos is awesome!
the staff holder rocks and handmade beads!
its all so cool, the owner will be proud
thanks for sharing What a Face
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

http://squadstlive.thecomicseries.com/

Back to top Go down

Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics! Empty Re: Forest Guardian Squadt, complete with a few progress pics!

Post  devito1195 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 am

Very cool. cyclops
devito1195
devito1195
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  el_payaso_loco Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 am

Damn josh that custom kicks some serious ass looks great. Love the way all the green looks
el_payaso_loco
el_payaso_loco
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  jorester Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 am

awesome !!! great work !!! clap clap clap clap
jorester
jorester
Quickly the Exits!

Back to top Go down

Post  mazdevilz Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 am

That thing rules!!!!! fantastic work!!!!!! What a Face What a Face What a Face
mazdevilz
mazdevilz
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  chiprender Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 am

WOW.... just WOW.
chiprender
chiprender
CAD Too Buku

http://www.chipthompson.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LonerStoner Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 am

you continue to outdo yourself josh!!!
LonerStoner
LonerStoner
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  yanyaniscool Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 am

Looks so good man!!!!
yanyaniscool
yanyaniscool
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  Gatiio Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 am

amazing, every piece you make keeps toppling the previous. great job, F+
Gatiio
Gatiio
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://www.oscar-gonzalezdiaz.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballou34 Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 am

Very impressive piece. Very Happy
As always a great creation ! Congratulations clap
Ballou34
Ballou34
CAD Grunt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ballou34/

Back to top Go down

Post  Silver Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 pm

This is absurd!!! What a Face

pirat

Silver
Silver
Silver
CAD Born Again Hard

Back to top Go down

Post  fender Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Looks really great!

I wonder if the brown looks more dried out only in the pictures or if that was the finishing touches. The picture with the staff has the wood paint looking more warm compared to the final shot.
fender
fender
I love C3p0

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Admin
Admin
FERG

http://www.jamungo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm

fender wrote:Looks really great!

I wonder if the brown looks more dried out only in the pictures or if that was the finishing touches. The picture with the staff has the wood paint looking more warm compared to the final shot.

Yeah, After that progress pic, I ended up doing a bit more drybrushing, and then when applying the varnish, I sometimes actually mix a little purple and blue in there to cool things down a bit.

I'm glad everybody likes it so much! Hopefully I can continue to exceed everyone's expectations in the future! Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  ussross547 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Fucking hell man... that is AWESOME!!! Great work! cheers
ussross547
ussross547
CAD Born Again Hard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:55 am

Forest Guardian arrived today.

If you have the chance to get a custom from Josh, DO IT!!

I suck at pictures so will let his do the talking even though they do this piece no justice whatsoever.

Fantastic work Josh, I couldn't be happier!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  chiprender Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:03 am

The "glow" effect technique he uses is brilliant. Amazing. Simply amazing. clap
chiprender
chiprender
CAD Too Buku

http://www.chipthompson.com

Back to top Go down

Post  el_payaso_loco Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:09 am

chiprender wrote:The "glow" effect technique he uses is brilliant. Amazing. Simply amazing. clap

i love how josh really made the green glow on this one it looks amazing
el_payaso_loco
el_payaso_loco
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  benswift Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:59 am

rad!
benswift
benswift
CAD Born Again Hard

http://www.benswift.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LonerStoner Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:27 pm

phenomenal!!!!!
LonerStoner
LonerStoner
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  manny Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Great stuff like always!

Keep it up.
manny
manny
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Applejuice Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Beautiful, I love your customs!
Applejuice
Applejuice
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:18 am

gregm wrote:Forest Guardian arrived today.

If you have the chance to get a custom from Josh, DO IT!!

I suck at pictures so will let his do the talking even though they do this piece no justice whatsoever.

Fantastic work Josh, I couldn't be happier!!

Thanks Greg! I'm super glad you're so happy with it, that's always my goal! I won't settle for anything less! Smile

And thanks to everyone else for all the kind words, I feel like I'm spending every waking hour in my studio lately, but all your responses and support makes it worth it! cheers
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  gua_ping Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 pm

2 Words...
Fucking Awesome...
affraid
gua_ping
gua_ping
CAD Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next