COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for everyone...

+2
devito1195
unlucky_charm13
6 posters

Go down

Question for everyone... Empty Question for everyone...

Post  unlucky_charm13 Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 am

I was just cruising through the sales forum on KR and got to thinking. Aside from people who flip, do you or do you think many people buy toys that you/they know will have a good resale/trade value with no intention to keep the piece just to use it as collateral to build your collection. You can obviously tell who the usual flippers are, but then you have those that have newer releases that they just want to trade.

We have only ever really acquired new things for our collection and rarely sell/trade anything unless its a BB dupe. Despite the overwhelming amount of flippers, I try to refrain from buying something I don't 100% intend to keep. Partially because its fiscally irresponsible to do that, but mainly because I know it pisses me off when I miss out on a new release and then see half of the production amount on forums or ebay the next day and are forced to pay 150-200% of the retail price. So I'd rather just back away and give those collectors a chance who are trying to score a limited release.

Your thoughts...?

*Sorry for the length, from my head to the OCD valve in my brain then typed out, things tend to come out in long form!
unlucky_charm13
unlucky_charm13
CAD Born Again Hard

http://www.nolovecity.com

Back to top Go down

Question for everyone... Empty Re: Question for everyone...

Post  devito1195 Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 am

Most of the toys I have bought are just for my collection. I don't go after stuff knowing I can flip it for a huge markup. That being said when it comes to possible chases like the latest K11 set - I ended up buying 5 sets and scored the chase. I did turn around and sell 2 of the duplicate sets for cost + shipping (just want to break even)
I do have multiple GID Midnight Jacks that are part of my collection because I got them for the right price. Although I might use them for trades in the future to keep my collection complete - I really love the figure and don't really want to part with it. 9 times out of 10 I am buying something to add it to my collection with full intention of keeping it.
devito1195
devito1195
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  LonerStoner Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:53 am

I only buy toys I plan to keep for a long time and I assume that i will get zero value if I try to re-sell it. This forces me to only buy toys I really like.
LonerStoner
LonerStoner
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Gatiio Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

LonerStoner wrote:I only buy toys I plan to keep for a long time and I assume that i will get zero value if I try to re-sell it. This forces me to only buy toys I really like.

+1

Gatiio
Gatiio
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://www.oscar-gonzalezdiaz.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  byproduct Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 pm

99% of the time I buy purely for my own collection. However, I did buy the recent GID Bertie MK3 with the full intention to use toward trading for a Squadt that i'm missing. I figure it's a safeguard from paying ridiculous eBay prices (if the demand for the figure is there.)
byproduct
byproduct
CAD Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post  unlucky_charm13 Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I agree with pretty much everything you all said. We really only buy what we intend to keep, and I think picking something up at a great price to build up is cool. The flippers are the only major turn off to collecting, it skews the market horribly, but that's with any widely collected things. I collect Absolut Vodka bottles/promo items/etc and they often have releases that are country specific and people really take advantage of collectors in other places anytime that happens, its really turned me away and I haven't bought anything new in sometime. I've actually been selling off stuff to buy art and toys Smile

Short flipper story... I don't remember what release it was, but it was a KR retail store only item and minutes after they went on sale I remeber seeing an Ebay auction for that item with a picture of the toy on this guys dashboard in his car. Trying to be the first seller and get the most cash.... sickening.

Oh well... I haven't dealt with many people here aside from a few recognizable names from KR, but everyone seems to have a much different attitude. Everyone wants to see everyones collection grow with the things they want rather than fill their pockets and shelves. I appreciate that view on things.

Ok, done rambling... time to go to sleep and dream about the new trouble boy... lol
unlucky_charm13
unlucky_charm13
CAD Born Again Hard

http://www.nolovecity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  squadter Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:48 am

I don't even keep the boxes, I have no intention of reselling them and wouldn't buy a release I didn't like just to make money from my ability to hit "buy now" faster than someone who really did want that release!
squadter
squadter
Pyle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down