COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What you normally pay for customs?

+2
BigC
Crow
6 posters

Go down

What you normally pay for customs? Empty What you normally pay for customs?

Post  Crow Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Ok, that's a very stupid question, but I'll go to the point:
I never sold anything to US before, but I'm thinking on starting now, and I must say the currency difference gives me very little notion on this
So, what do you normally pay for, let's say, a Jamungo 3'' with full paint job and sculpey?

Again, sorry about the stupid question
Crow
Crow
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

What you normally pay for customs? Empty Re: What you normally pay for customs?

Post  BigC Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Crow wrote:Ok, that's a very stupid question, but I'll go to the point:
I never sold anything to US before, but I'm thinking on starting now, and I must say the currency difference gives me very little notion on this
So, what do you normally pay for, let's say, a Jamungo 3'' with full paint job and sculpey?

Again, sorry about the stupid question

totally depends on how it looks and who the artist is.......and I'm calling "dibs" hehehe
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Crow Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Yeah, I assumed it was very relative
I've seen customs with detailed paint work and sculpted going for U$200.00
Crow
Crow
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Mendez Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:08 pm

I think Huck Gee does 'em for cheap. bounce
Mendez
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 pm

I have always found this formula to be effective when pricing stuff:

Materials Cost
+
Manufacture Time
+
Reasonable Profit

Materials Cost includes the cost of anything you had to buy specifically for this project. For example, if you had to buy a pack of sculpy for $10 and you used half of it, you could add $5 reasonably to the materials cost. If you had a bunch of junk laying around that you were gonna throw out, but instead re-purposed for your custom, than you might add $0 for any junk you used. Etc.

Manufacture time takes into consideration that some customs take longer than others. A really detailed one that you spent 20 hours on should be priced more than one you spent an hour on. Pay yourself a fair wage (when doing freelance I usually go by my day-job hourly rate +/- how much I really wanna do the job or how much I like the customer Wink). Don't count time that you were waiting for paint to dry and such, no one gets paid for sitting on their ass watching paint dry Smile

Reasonable Profit is where you might bump the price of the figure up or down if it came out especially good or especially crappy. Give your custom a critical eye and judge it against other similar customs. Take note of all its flaws or whether or not it came out as good as you expected. If you were well known for making awesome customers you might factor in the weight of your name a little (but too much makes you an asshole). It is OK to just not consider this stuff right away and just add up the first two fields to come up with a price, especially if you are just starting out.

Of course, the deciding factor when it comes to price is how much people are really willing to pay for it. Market sets the price and if no one buys you custom and you really want to sell it you will likely have to drop your price a few times. Just try not to sell it for less than you paid in materials Smile

The range Ihave paid for customs is between $40-80. But I generally won't buy a custom if it is over $50 unless I really really really like it.

Last edited by whacko on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  darkghost973 Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:58 am

it all depends on the customizer imo, most well known artists charge alot. It depends on what you want customized, the amount of work involved, supplies used, and compensation. Since customs are one of pieces that also adds to the value.
darkghost973
darkghost973
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  fender Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 am

I agree with whacko, about 30-50 per is a good price, But i'd say buy what you like and keep it reasonable. Some custom jobs are really worth 100+, if i had the cash i'd love a Dok A custom toy.
fender
fender
I love C3p0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down