COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grrrrr.......$$$....

+2
BigC
Mendez
6 posters

Go down

Grrrrr.......$$$.... Empty Grrrrr.......$$$....

Post  Mendez Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Today I was looking forward to Sket-one selling his AP dunnys (I fucking hate dunnys but collect Sket now and then). Finally when they come on sale, the price tags are as such:
$150 - Mustard
$75 - Relish
$15 - Sketchup
$15 - Boom

I wanted to score the Mustard and relish, but fuck that. Don't get me wrong, if anyone deserves the money flippers get it's the artists. As a fan I am very disappointed, especially since he is so out spoken about flippers and such. I value art and what an artist's piece means to them, but today kind of shocked me. MAD sold his APs with an exclusive print for $50, that is more than reasonable in my opinion and offers something to his true fans. I'm glad most of us here on C&D try to be fair with pricing rare and wanted items. Even as a company Ferg and crew have always come correct in release prices and such. The Rat has been the highest cost for a figure and I imagine it's due to the overhead and shipping. OK, I'm done with my rant.....had to vent.

mad2
Mendez
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Grrrrr.......$$$.... Empty Re: Grrrrr.......$$$....

Post  BigC Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 pm

I agree 100%. Who wants a Mustard Dunny? Very strongly considering selling mine now.
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:16 am

I hate it when that happens.

I know there are a lot of costs involved for toy designers from a manufacture/shipping perspective that drives the prices up on a lot of these toys but sometimes it is just not worth it. I mean, someone can be the best toy designer in the world, but if they are charging $500 for a 6" figure something is messed up, its just a lump of plastic. Some people will almost any price for work from a certain artist or designer, but if you keep releasing high ticket items eventually you are just going to piss off the people who can't afford to be you fans anymore.

In the end it is up to the toy creator to decide if it is worthwhile or not for their fans to pursue a design based on how much it is gonna cost.

That is why of all collectible toys, 3" BUDs are still my favorite. They are relatively cheap and provide me with just as much joy as a Squadt or any other more expensive toy. Don't get me wrong, I love my Squadts too, but BUDs are love that cost about 8x less Wink
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:09 am

whacko wrote:I hate it when that happens.

I know there are a lot of costs involved for toy designers from a manufacture/shipping perspective that drives the prices up on a lot of these toys but sometimes it is just not worth it. I mean, someone can be the best toy designer in the world, but if they are charging $500 for a 6" figure something is messed up, its just a lump of plastic. Some people will almost any price for work from a certain artist or designer, but if you keep releasing high ticket items eventually you are just going to piss off the people who can't afford to be you fans anymore.

In the end it is up to the toy creator to decide if it is worthwhile or not for their fans to pursue a design based on how much it is gonna cost.

That is why of all collectible toys, 3" BUDs are still my favorite. They are relatively cheap and provide me with just as much joy as a Squadt or any other more expensive toy. Don't get me wrong, I love my Squadts too, but BUDs are love that cost about 8x less Wink

That's why I see myself as lucky. 3" BUDs are my fav.
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Neo_182 Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:09 am

BigC wrote:I agree 100%. Who wants a Mustard Dunny? Very strongly considering selling mine now.

Totally agree. I started out collecting Dunny. At first they had really lovely and intricate designs. Theyve slowly become lazier and just no thought have been put into the designs.
Don't get my wrong some are not bad at all like the Sket Ones.

I am glad i finally stumbled on jamungo and all the really cool stuff they offer.

Neo_182
Neo_182
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  Mendez Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:32 am

Dunny.....the gateway drug
Mendez
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  Crow Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:49 am

I'm happy I'm not into those
Never was into collecting Munny and Dunny. They're awesome customizing plataformas, but that's about it
Crow
Crow
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:52 am

Luvz me sum BUDz
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  fender Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Can someone explain the difference in AP toys vs production pieces?

I thought AP editions were basically looked over by the artist for no flaws and maybe a little extra hand painting thrown on? I doubt artist that design for dunny's are producing their own. So I don't think it really costs him much to get a few extra dunny's to use for AP's from kidrobot.
fender
fender
I love C3p0

Back to top Go down

Post  Mendez Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:51 pm

fender wrote:Can someone explain the difference in AP toys vs production pieces?

I thought AP editions were basically looked over by the artist for no flaws and maybe a little extra hand painting thrown on? I doubt artist that design for dunny's are producing their own. So I don't think it really costs him much to get a few extra dunny's to use for AP's from kidrobot.

AP =artist proofs
Basically like a test press of a figure to ensure QC and artist approval. Some are the first run of the figures, some are just promo. Most artists offer their fans to obtain them. i.e. MAD BUD w/ Print, Brian Morris Sack O' Skulls, etc...
Mendez
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:59 pm

fender wrote:Can someone explain the difference in AP toys vs production pieces?

I had this same question. I always thought it was the perfect versions of the figure they use at the factory to copy off of. It was explained to me that for the most part, it's just regular production pieces sent to the artists for inspection. QC type shit. Basically....just some of the regular production pieces, usually early run.
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 am

BigC wrote:

I had this same question. I always thought it was the perfect versions of the figure they use at the factory to copy off of. It was explained to me that for the most part, it's just regular production pieces sent to the artists for inspection. QC type shit. Basically....just some of the regular production pieces, usually early run.

AP might be slightly different from the standard production run, but usually only if there as some flaw the artist noticed when he was inspecting the toys.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mendez Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:02 am

All in all, I just feel better getting pieces directly from the artist. At least I know they're getting sorted for their works and effort. But holy shit, be reasonable.
Mendez
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 am

Mendez wrote:All in all, I just feel better getting pieces directly from the artist. At least I know they're getting sorted for their works and effort. But holy shit, be reasonable.

exactly........but NOT at those fuckin prices.....hahahahaha. Seems we are in full agreement. haha
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum