COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!

+69
eldoobya
ianthegamer
KidBot
Takemaru
blindboxx2334
EOS
Blood101
Art_Buyer
cripery
agentzuluka
Stush
666ways2love
NDB747
funkin
smokebelch
Gimby
unlucky_charm13
vramirez
ontheDL
BTYHP
skidz
vicjeb
doug
chelito19soccer
cheapass
Buellster
redwood510
Admin
niskio
dddaaa
Mikeyk
chiprender
JasperF
devito1195
grand poobah
colbert
ictoys
linkwood
Mokushiki
slinky42
chase1319
mazdevilz
dtrain
supershallow
ejholmes30
boze666
jorester
Crow
byproduct
JEEMAC
manny
ussross547
ilovefreestufftoo
Skullyton85
jgreds107
itsa_mia
LonerStoner
M00Nman
yanyaniscool
comatoseghost
UNCLE
BigC
Gatiio
Ballou34
DrilOne
el_payaso_loco
edstuff
Crunch
fplus
73 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 Empty Re: DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!

Post  fplus Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 am

JasperF wrote:How do you make the weapons? Trying to sculpt but the keep falling apart haha

I'll be doing an update specifically about that soon! Wink

Ok, update time,

The base is coming along nicely, and with most elements completed or at least roughed out, things are really starting to take shape!

painting the quartz, because as cool as it looks, I wanted to make it the main element of glowing to help set up the right side of the piece, so I give it a nice initial spray of transparent flouro purple:

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7570361406_4ba51ae670_c

then, I go through and hand paint each one with a darker purple, a pink, and then finallly a very fine touch of pure white to help sell the highlights and make them feel a bit more dynamic, and properly crystal-y!

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7570367968_901f9006ec_c

then, it was onto the stained glass, which was interesting, because while I was making it, I realized, I had never done stained glass before. lol

first attempt, was a bit too complicated and too distracting, and the first idea I had for paints turned out to be very blotchy, opaque and troublesome.

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7599207582_550071506b_c

so after some testing on another piece of plexi, I decided to break it down and re-do it, with a slightly different design to cater to a better color palette. Here it is, just the "leading"painted in. It's basically a puff paint that has a matte finish, normally people just squirt it right from the bottle in a line, but given the size of the lines I wanted, I ended up hand brushing it on, which was kind of annoying as it sets up pretty quick.

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7599209124_ea083618ba_c

For the second attempt, I decided to do masking, and spray transparent paints to get a more uniform effect while preserving translucency. Here, you can see the piece masked off in sections,each time cutting out all the areas that get that color, then carefully sticking it back on after drying, and cutting out the areas for the next color.DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7599211040_814876465c_c

as you can see, the colors fit the scene much better I think. Smile
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7599213044_6cd6ffbbd4_c

I then distressed the glass, added some cobwebs, and broke out a couple panes and cracked some others to help the window fit the scene a bit better.
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7612713546_ef67171878_c

Lit from behind:
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7612714132_1ecb9a1353_c

In other news, the Demon angel is coming along nicely, and is almost complete. still a little bit of finishing to do. The contrast in the glow is so strong, that it kind of screws with the camera and makes it look even more extreme than it really is.

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7612715638_3d0822f97a_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7612714966_e43767a9de_c

And his weapon, the staff of the Ouroboros (fun thing to read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros)

initial sculpt:
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7599377086_5eb5f2630c_c

painted up in gold liquid leaf:
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7612716348_f1d57d59ec_c

Ok, that's it for now! Next update will be weapons, and then I'll hold out for final shots me thinks!

Last edited by fplus on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

http://www.fplusnever.com

Back to top Go down

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 Empty Re: DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!

Post  ilovefreestufftoo Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:45 am

Speechless clap
ilovefreestufftoo
ilovefreestufftoo
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  chase1319 Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 am

This whole set up is absolutely ridiculous, as it get closer to completion the more anxiety I gain... sick work!!! What a Face
chase1319
chase1319
CAD Too Buku

http://albinotacoshop.bigcartel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  devito1195 Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:54 am

HOLY CHRIST!!!!! cyclops
devito1195
devito1195
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:40 am

What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face bonghit What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face
Admin
Admin
FERG

http://www.jamungo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dddaaa Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 am

clap clap clap
dddaaa
CAD Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post  manny Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 am

WTF?! This is unreal
manny
manny
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballou34 Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Shocked I am speechless !
The result is awesome. I can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks F+ for what you have done. clap
Ballou34
Ballou34
CAD Grunt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ballou34/

Back to top Go down

Post  JasperF Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:06 pm

VERY impressive, am looking forward to the weapons update Laughing
JasperF
JasperF
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  redwood510 Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 pm

The cheek bones on the demon mage are sick! Nice work man!
redwood510
redwood510
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for the all the positive feedback guys! I've got to say, this project has been a ton of work, and a ton of fun, it's very close to done at this point, but I'm going to wait till the end for the big reveal!

until then, as promised, here's how I do weapons, this is probably not the easiest or least labor intensive way, but I find I get the best results this way.

I usually start with a wooden dowl for the handle, something thin enough that it can slide in and out of the hand with minimal paint scratching, but not so thin that it will just fall out. I then cut a template of the blade in plasticard something to reinforce the shape when I go to make the blade in resin.
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685428452_4128dd2055_c

I then lay over a fairly rough layer of magic sculpt on both sides, trying my best to avoid dips in the surface, as the goal is to make the side of the blade completely flat. the edges, I care a little less about, because I know I'm going to do a ton of sanding here.
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685430604_2f984c243a_c

using a sanding table, I rough out the shape as evenly as I can, and then dremel down the spots the table cant get to. this gives me a pretty solid and uniform blade-like edge, and also you can see the areas where the resin ended up a little thinner than the rest
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685432530_cb30caaa65_c

Often times, this will be the point I smooth on some more magic sculpt into these lower areas, then re -sand, and go over the whole thing with 180, then 300 grit sand paper. you can see the lighter area of newly added resin on this guy:
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685434430_4159808e0c_c

I'm not the most anal person in the world, as I like my pieces to still have an organic and hand made feel to them, at this point, I feel good enough about the shape to spray it with some grey primer, and go over the primer with a finishing sponge:
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685435424_2b429717f0_c

You'll see I glued on some plasticard panels, and then worked some magic sculpt around the trim. I then spray the blade with a metallic spray paint. As a spray on chrome effect is near impossible (or very expensive) I tend to settle for a beaten metal look, as it fits the fantasy style well. Some times, I'll do metal leaf or liquid leaf for this effect as well.
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685436690_315cc4f001_c

Using a very fine monogram bit on my dremel, I engraved the norse letter for STAG into the axe head. I then go over the areas with a gold liquid leaf, which is terrible stuff with a terrible scent, definitely use a organic vapor respirator with it, or I'm pretty sure you'll kill some brain cells. and follw that with some of the green metallic I used on the Stag, mixed with some black ink, to give a nice pearly/marbled effect.
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685437672_dbf5545058_c

Kind of a crappy final pic, but here's the blade all painted up. I use thin coats of black and whit acrylic mixed with glazing liquid and silver mica flake (most silver acrylics should work) (to keep it pretty sparkly in person)to give it a bit more stylized effect , and a little faux lighting. I always go darker on the edge of the blade, to help show the bevel. Then the whole thing gets a couple thin coats of acrylic high gloss varnish:
DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685438892_aaf1409d3b_c

Hope that helps some of you guys! feel free to ask me any questions!
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm

thats magic, +101 awesome +250 kick ass

how much do squadts generally weigh after your done?
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

http://squadstlive.thecomicseries.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:22 pm

itsa_mia wrote:thats magic, +101 awesome +250 kick ass

how much do squadts generally weigh after your done?

Thanks man!

They're usually still under a pound when they're done. Unless I do wings, ironically, those things get heavy.
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  itsa_mia Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 pm

wow, still light
they look so heavy

looking forward to the final photos!
itsa_mia
itsa_mia
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

http://squadstlive.thecomicseries.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 pm

itsa_mia wrote:wow, still light
they look so heavy

looking forward to the final photos!

yeah, I mean, it's definitely noticeably heavier then the raw vinyl for sure.
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  JasperF Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Once again a great update, am looking forward to seeing the end result. Also thank you VERY much for this update, perhaps I will start a new weapon sculpting tonight! I do have a question though, if you talk about resin do you mean like the clay that hardens out or do you use a mold and two parts resin? Sorry if I'm asking too much details but this is all very new to me
JasperF
JasperF
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  jorester Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

awesome update !!! clap clap F-plus
jorester
jorester
Quickly the Exits!

Back to top Go down

Post  Buellster Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Absolutley Mind Blowing, Fcuk man I would like you to custom my BP custom trigger, I know we have been talking , let's get this on clap
Buellster
Buellster
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm

JasperF wrote:Once again a great update, am looking forward to seeing the end result. Also thank you VERY much for this update, perhaps I will start a new weapon sculpting tonight! I do have a question though, if you talk about resin do you mean like the clay that hardens out or do you use a mold and two parts resin? Sorry if I'm asking too much details but this is all very new to me

I can see how that can be confusing. In this case, resin = magic sculpt. Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  LonerStoner Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 am

wow, love the detail on the mask!!!

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7685428452_4128dd2055_c
LonerStoner
LonerStoner
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  yanyaniscool Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 am

Super sick work man the progress is coming along nicely!
yanyaniscool
yanyaniscool
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  cheapass Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 am

unreal!!! cyclops clap cyclops
cheapass
cheapass
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 am

As he ventures deep into the harsh and inhospitable nether regions of the outlying area simply known as "The Wastes", he knows he can not go back now, not when he has come so far. The Ghouls and horrors he has seen along the way would have broken most men, but not the knight they have grown to affectionately call "The Stag" (from his name sake, Sir Taenius of the Alussion Gardens). As he struggles to gain purchase up the slippery cliffside, he realizes the toll the trip has taken on him. It would be so easy to let himself go and slide like a forgotten doll, back down the jagged slope into the unforgiving darkness. From the faint, yet savage sounds below, there is no doubt of monsters laying in wait in that impossibly black pit. All manner of creature poised with anxious ferocity, for his inevitable misstep. He pictures the face of his beloved. Her night sky hair, like gently spun onyx. Her eyes, deep as the great oceans, and as hypnotic as the waves on their shores. Her stunning beauty, quickly replaced by the twisted face of her certain terror. It burns our hero in his chest, like he just swallowed a fistful of white hot coal.

With freshly stoked determination, he pulled his heavily armored body over the summit, standing to find the lost Cemetery of the Ghonne. The graveyard that lay in front of him was chillingly desolate and bereft of even the whispers of wind. The Ghonne, a cult of dark alchemists that serve their Demon masters beyond the veil of mortality, had a reputation for blood rituals. in their last days, they had kidnapped and killed every member of a small neighboring village, resulting in an all out attack by the Queen's guard, where every member of the cult was slain without quarter, and their entire village was turned into a graveyard, the ground salted, and every building set aflame.

It was rumored that this place was haunted by the vengeful spirits of those Dark artisans, but the Stag knew the truth of it. It was no rumor, he had seen that Nightmarish angel with his own eyes, with skin that must have been made of blue flames, the alchemical symbols on his robe unmistakable to his scholarly eyes. The monster that took his love was some how related to the Ghonne, and this God forsaken place was undoubtedly where it had taken her. As he wandered deeper into the seemingly endless dead lands, the silence was broken, by the unearthly sound he had first heard a few days prior. As the sound grew, so did a faint purple glow in the distant fog. With a slight reluctance, the stag pressed forward, now seeing a familiar blue color framed by the purple glow. as the mist parted, and the vague features came into focus, he stood, more than slightly stunned at the realization, that odd, faint sound was of flesh burning with the blue flame of a Demon.

Fear struck him like a ram charging headfirst into an anvil. The Demon was looking right at him--no, right at his very soul. As he raised his blood soaked battle axe for combat, the Demon's mouth opened to make a cacophony of sound. It was like a thousand guttural voices screaming in pain all at once, yet somehow he understood the message with crystal clarity: "Death is infinite". Just then, the ground began to tremble and split with the same haunting blue light erupting from below. As the land beneath shifted, arms started to burst forth violently from the blighted ground, as the restless corpses of the Ghonne cultists started to frantically grasp at his cape and armor.

The Stag stood frozen, absolutely shocked as the dark world in front of him transformed into an absolute masterpiece of certain death. This time, he did not think of giving up, but of something his father told him "Bravery is not about being fearless in the face of danger; bravery is when you are filled to the brim with fear, and you fight with everything you have despite it."

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755181980_49f0997c79_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755181634_a44dfffc6c_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755172838_7a6d661c18_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755171750_b1aa33c0a5_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755170596_a53c3d9769_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755169938_a13c9aa4aa_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755167228_5784bd50a6_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755166540_0365a74158_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755165636_3210703ff8_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755163562_59afec2f1d_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755162586_90850a7d32_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755159098_38c7f9411c_c

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755802694_151cbbc3ba_c

The gohst statue on the left was sculpted with magnetic contacts on the bottom, so when you set it properly on the pillar, it lights up the 8 LEDs mounted on the backside of the stained glass.

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755802972_6c7ea562cf_c

OFF:

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755802156_8b83cff93f_c

ON:

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755802568_ded7d96d6a_b

DEATH IS INFINITE: Giant Squadt project finished!  - Page 5 7755168136_996a05a3b8_c
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:42 am

What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face clap
Admin
Admin
FERG

http://www.jamungo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chelito19soccer Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:10 am

Holy shnaps wow
chelito19soccer
chelito19soccer
CAD Born Again Hard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next