COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD

+2
Jimmy Foo
whacko
6 posters

Go down

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Empty FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD

Post  whacko Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:44 am

Here I am going to post information about my first custom 9" BUD. I have customized other toys, but this is my first custom Jamungo product, although, since starting my collection 2 weeks ago I have come up with 3 more "MUST DO" ideas, and 1 or 2 "Maybe" ideas, so I promise this will not be my last Jamungo custom.
(P.S. Ferg & Vanbeater: make with the Aug ABOMB BOTMS already, I need some stock!)

Anyway, any project should start with an idea.
That idea should then be turned into some sketches. Here is my final sketch for this concept:

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD JesterBUD_Sketches

After I did a couple of pages of sketches and some thumbnails and took notes on what kinds of colors & textures I wanted to use, I took some pencils to my nice Blank BUD. I started with 2H for the first stage of sketches (lighter, easier to erase) and then went through to some standard 2Bs for the pretty much final lines. It almost hurt me to draw on that smooth white surface, but hopefully this will turn out awesome Smile
Here are a few pics of the finished pencils. I took the BUD outside to give is a spray of some fixative, to keep the pencil lines from rubbing off from handling:
Front:
FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD JesterBUD_Front

Back:
FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD JesterBUD_Back

Started painting today. I don't know if I am going to have time to finish it this week before I go camping for 8 days.
I started filling in the hard to reach and large areas of color. I will go back in for the detailed areas and then clean up the larger areas again.

I will probably have to use 2 coats of enamel in most areas, since some colors don't seem to stick very well to the surface of the toy. The fixative I used to keep the pencils from smudging made a glossy surface in some areas that some of the paint colors seem to slide around on. I probably should have given it a quick coat of primer before I started in with color, but well... live and learn I guess.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD JesterBUD_Painting1

More painting, including a step back.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Painting2

Back from vacation and a little more painting.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Painting3

More painting, this one is taking longer to paint than I thought it would. I have the hat mostly finished, filled in more color on the pants and started the vest. I also went around with a small brush and started cleaning up some details that got messy.

I might change the pants and I don't think I like the green and yellow. I might make it green & red, or red & gold. The sleeves will probably be gold eventually, but because metallic colors go on pretty thin I put an undercoat of yellow so that the white won't show through.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Painting4

Its looking a little bright now, but once I get the colors done to my satisfaction and get the detail work in place, I plan on darkening the toy with a little colored stain to bring down the intensity and pull the colors together.

More painting, and I started cleaning up the areas that were more or less finished.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Painting5

More painting. Starting to clean up a bit more and adding final details.
Nothing else interesting.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Painting6

Finished. Painted with Testors Oil Enamels and DecoColor paint pens.
Cleaned up with PITT Artist Pens (India Ink) and then given a 4 coats of clear gloss acrylic sealer.

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Finished2
FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Front2

If you like my first custom BUD, please check out my portfolio InsanityBrush.

Last edited by whacko on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:48 am; edited 8 times in total
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Empty Re: FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD

Post  Jimmy Foo Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Lookin good....I love to see the progression of customs from initial idea to finished piece....can't wait for the updates.
Jimmy Foo
Jimmy Foo
Trench Warmer

Back to top Go down

FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD Empty Re: FINISHED - Last Laugh - Custom 9" BUD

Post  BigC Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Jimmy Foo wrote:Lookin good....I love to see the progression of customs from initial idea to finished piece....can't wait for the updates.

ditto
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:34 am

updated.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy Foo Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:43 am

Nice....what paints are you using?
Jimmy Foo
Jimmy Foo
Trench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:12 am

I am using Testors oil based enamels. Usually they are sold for painting model planes and cars and stuff, but I have used them on other toys and they have very rich color and are pretty durable, especially if you clear coat the toy afterwards.

I have actually made a bit more progress painting, and I actually undid some of what I had before because I forgot to prime (me dumb). I will post more pics in a bit. New pic up.

Now for a week of camping Smile (but unfortunately no BUD painting)
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 am

Back from vacation, and a bit more painting done.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:51 am

more painting. almost done Wink
This toy is taking longer than I thought it would, partially because of the very round surfaces making it hard to hold & paint, and partially because it is taking me several coats of paint to cover the white.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  Assburrito! Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 am

Looks like it is coming along nicely. It's starting to take on it's identity now that the colors are there.
Assburrito!
Assburrito!
CAD Too Buku

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerosedesign

Back to top Go down

Post  darkghost973 Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:29 pm

bom nice work! I like the skull the best, cant wait to see the finished result
darkghost973
darkghost973
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:06 pm

I want more pics and I want them NOW!!!!
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:51 pm

BigC wrote:I want more pics and I want them NOW!!!!

I had another painting session yesterday, so I can send up another pic this afternoon. I am finally almost finished.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:23 am

sweet
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:15 am

New pic up.
I am thinking of changing the pants from green & yellow to red & yellow but I don't know.
I am also going to change the outside of the shoes to red and the insides to blue.
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  dreamattack27 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 am

very nice, it has a real Dia De Los Muertos vibe!
dreamattack27
dreamattack27
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  whacko Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 am

Finally finished!

I would have been finished 2 days ago, but when I was bringing it outside to coat with acrylic, I dropped it in the patio scraping off a large amount of paint off of the front of the head, which meant pretty much that the entire head had to be repainted and then I had to wait for the paint to dry again before I could coat it with acrylic.

Anyway, its done, and now to move onto the next project...
whacko
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:00 am

very nice
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Assburrito! Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:49 am

Well done! I like the fact that it's a bunch of colors. bom
Assburrito!
Assburrito!
CAD Too Buku

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerosedesign

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down