COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Corrupter

+12
zxxzViperzxxz
Art_Buyer
LonerStoner
ezramyl
edstuff
chase1319
manny
BigC
devito1195
mazdevilz
el_payaso_loco
fplus
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Corrupter  Empty The Corrupter

Post  fplus Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:39 am

The Corrupter  6189494781_8a0e3a77ac_z

Hey guys, I've lurked these forums a bit, but finally have something I'd like to share!

This is my first original design, a DIY, solid cast resin figure set, fully hand painted and airbrushed by me. It's community backed project, so I wanted to share it with as many toy heads as possible in hopes of making it a reality. Smile

Here's the unpainted master sculpt pics (painted pics soon):

The Corrupter  6193660966_66b3b23b3d_z

The Corrupter  6193145801_84eed7349d_z

The Corrupter  6193145139_8a7d3cb5fc_z

About the Corrupter:

The storyline of the Corrupter is that he is a powerful mage that can manipulate the very core of a creature's spirit, transforming them into a twisted servant to do his bidding. In this version of the Corrupter, he has turned this poor critter into a "fungal fiend". The main attribute of a fungal fiend is that it sprouts a series of glowing mushrooms that bare spores, these spores will spread and infect others with his tainted spirit.Those touched by the spores quickly transform them into fungal fiends as well. In no time at all, The Corrupter will have an entire army of fungal minions at his finger tips.

I'm offering several different ways to pre order a figure but these are the main ones:

You can get one 3" fully painted fungal fiend, bagged and tagged Kaiju style for $45 shipped US (+5 intl)

A DIY set of the corrupter and fungal fiend, unpainted, for $85 Shipped US (+15 intl)

Or the limited edition, fully painted set, in a sweet collector's box with a COA for $125 shipped US (+$20 intl)

funding has been open for four days, and I'm almost halfway there already! So if you dig it and want to help make the Corrupter a reality, you can preorder yours here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/427115370/first-original-figure-the-corrupter-by-josh-f-pear

thanks so much for checking it out, and I'll post more updates soon!

-Josh f+
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

http://www.fplusnever.com

Back to top Go down

The Corrupter  Empty Re: The Corrupter

Post  el_payaso_loco Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 am

well i gotta say i really like it, very cool idea
el_payaso_loco
el_payaso_loco
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  mazdevilz Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm getting one for sure!!!!!! What a Face What a Face
mazdevilz
mazdevilz
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support! It's already halfway to the goal!I'll be posting painted pics very soon! Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  devito1195 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Very cool! Just backed the production of this. Really hope this gets made! Can't wait to see the painted piece.
Good luck!
devito1195
devito1195
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks so much for your support Devito! Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  BigC Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 pm

welcome to the forum fplus. It's awesome that you were able to do this on your own. My fiance wants to make her own figure(s) based on her characters, but her sculpting skills aren't ready yet, and other people charge a bundle to do it for us. I love to see shit like this happen.
BigC
BigC
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 pm

BigC wrote:welcome to the forum fplus. It's awesome that you were able to do this on your own. My fiance wants to make her own figure(s) based on her characters, but her sculpting skills aren't ready yet, and other people charge a bundle to do it for us. I love to see shit like this happen.

Thanks man! Yeah, going the DIY route is much tougher and demanding, but I think it's worth it. My philosophy was that I wasn't going to trust somebody else, that isn't nearly as emotionally invested, with making this figure as good as I envision. If you want something done right, do it yourself. That said, I'm pretty comfortable with sculpting, and it still took a lot of trial and error to get this piece to where it is.
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  manny Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:32 am

fplus wrote:
BigC wrote:welcome to the forum fplus. It's awesome that you were able to do this on your own. My fiance wants to make her own figure(s) based on her characters, but her sculpting skills aren't ready yet, and other people charge a bundle to do it for us. I love to see shit like this happen.

Thanks man! Yeah, going the DIY route is much tougher and demanding, but I think it's worth it. My philosophy was that I wasn't going to trust somebody else, that isn't nearly as emotionally invested, with making this figure as good as I envision. If you want something done right, do it yourself. That said, I'm pretty comfortable with sculpting, and it still took a lot of trial and error to get this piece to where it is.

This is really amazing. Im glad someone is doing something at this caliber. This is inspiring for me. I will definitely keep up with this
manny
manny
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks Manny, my goal first and foremost is I'm hoping it will inspire folks to dream big. Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  chase1319 Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:53 am

Wow. These guys look great even in the raw sculpture form. Im amazed and wish you the best of luck with this and I can not wait to see these done man. Great work. What a Face I love the painting too.
chase1319
chase1319
CAD Too Buku

http://albinotacoshop.bigcartel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:13 am

WOW!!! what an amazing week it's been! 87% funded as of now, with 22 days to go! Thank you all so much for your support! I had my optimism that this project was going to be well received, but I didn't think it would get this far this quickly! Well, your guys' overwhelming support has lit a fire under me as well. So here's a colorful update for you:

The Corrupter  6255806646_2c8167c54d_z

That's right! These are the first test paints for the Corrupter set! It was a beautiful autumn day in Oregon, so we took a little field trip. As you can see it's still a little rough, as this figure will go through one more refining process in wax before the final pieces are cast, but this is pretty close to what you can expect the finished figures to look like!

The Corrupter  6255806730_1bccc84b46_z

The Corrupter  6255806556_e3f87545d3_z

Fun fact: as it stands, the total paint process ends up being about 13 step process, not too shabby if I do say so myself.

The Corrupter  6255273679_bf07fb488d_z

Lastly, for those of you in LA for Designer Con Nov. 5th, I will be there with the Corrupter Proto at the spankystokes booth. This will be the first chance folks will be able to see the design in person, and if any of you can make it, I'd love to shake your hand and thank you for your support in person!

The Corrupter  6255806446_edb720919e_z

Thanks again everybody! You guys rock! I'm looking forward to posting some more progress and an official celebratory update soon!

-Josh f+
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  edstuff Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 am

Wow man That's a complete piece of art. I love the sculpt, paint, character design...
It's just an awesome piece of work. Great job on this all around. I'm a fan.
edstuff
edstuff
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  ezramyl Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 am

I'm very impressed by this figure set! I think the colored version looks awesome!
ezramyl
ezramyl
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 am

edstuff wrote:Wow man That's a complete piece of art. I love the sculpt, paint, character design...
It's just an awesome piece of work. Great job on this all around. I'm a fan.

Thanks man, that's precisely the effect I was going for!

100% Funded in just 8 days! THIS IS HAPPENING FOR REALS!!!! Thank you all for your support whether it be by pledge, post, or well wishes! I appreciate it so much!

For those of you still looking to preorder yours, there's still 3 weeks to get your pledge in. Also, I added a couple more reward tiers to offer some more options to folks on what they would like to receive for their rewards. If you already pledged and want to change your reward, I believe you can do that fairly easily as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/427 ... osh-f-pear
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:04 am

ezramyl wrote:I'm very impressed by this figure set! I think the colored version looks awesome!

Thanks man, The colors were not an easy choice and are still a tad rough, but I'm really happy with the combos all together! They'll look even better on the finished product! Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  LonerStoner Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:32 pm

you should post pics of your custom squadt, it is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!
LonerStoner
LonerStoner
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Back to top Go down

Post  el_payaso_loco Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 pm

LonerStoner wrote:you should post pics of your custom squadt, it is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!
He has a custom squadt?? Yess show us pics...just the other day i was thinking of an idea for him to do a squadt for me
el_payaso_loco
el_payaso_loco
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:43 pm

el_payaso_loco wrote:
LonerStoner wrote:you should post pics of your custom squadt, it is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!
He has a custom squadt?? Yess show us pics...just the other day i was thinking of an idea for him to do a squadt for me

I think it may be up in the custom section as well, but so far, I've done this one:

The Corrupter  Sq110

The Corrupter  Sq210

The Corrupter  Sq310

The Corrupter  Sq410
(link to slideshow with more images):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22213930@N00/sets/72157627533085766/

I've also got two more custom squadts on my production schedule so far. Super fun figure to work on. I hope to do many more! Smile
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  mazdevilz Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Hey that squadt looks familiar... Oh yeah that's mine!!!!

YO! Josh how's it going brother!!!!

I'm going to go to Designer Con, and hopefully meet ya!

I can't wait to see the Corrupter!
mazdevilz
mazdevilz
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm

mazdevilz wrote:Hey that squadt looks familiar... Oh yeah that's mine!!!!

YO! Josh how's it going brother!!!!

I'm going to go to Designer Con, and hopefully meet ya!

I can't wait to see the Corrupter!

For sure brother! Looking forward to shaking your hand and thanking you for your support in person! Smile

fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  el_payaso_loco Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:54 pm

haha ohh shit thats the one you did, ok i seen the pics...yea for sure gotta hit you up for a custom
el_payaso_loco
el_payaso_loco
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:04 pm

el_payaso_loco wrote:haha ohh shit thats the one you did, ok i seen the pics...yea for sure gotta hit you up for a custom

For sure man, just shoot me a PM or an email. i"m always down to do more Squadt customs! Smile

Another small update:

My friends that are printing my shirts just gave me the ok that they can do my design in the process I want, a Discharge print, so that the ink is bold, yet soft to the touch. they're going to be nice, black fitted shirts, it's a little extra, but you guys are worth it! Smile

The Corrupter  6267490606_f36d567c66_z

I also added a couple more reward tiers for folks that want different combinations of things, if you have a combo you want and don't see, just let me know. Smile

Thanks again you guys for your incredible support and kind words, it means more to me than I'll ever be able to express! Smile :partyman:
fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Art_Buyer Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Josh:

I'm the guy who recently bought the three custom Big Sals from you. I only tell you that so you know I am a big fan and not a hater (for what I am about to say). For the corrupter, I'm on the fence and for the "fungal fiend" I'm just not sure at all (although I think it would be cool if you continued to mutate the fungal fiend over time). You might want to talk with your artist friends (if you have not already done so) whose honest opinions you trust and business people in the toy industry to give you some feedback (both positive and negative--because all positive is nice but not going to help you if you really want to be a success).

I am probably still going to be one of the funders because you are a heck of a talent (I'm still drooling over the custom Squadt you did) and I believe in you as a person and talent. Hope you take the above comments in the spirit they were intended.

Best of luck.
Art_Buyer
Art_Buyer
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  fplus Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Art_Buyer wrote:Josh:

I'm the guy who recently bought the three custom Big Sals from you. I only tell you that so you know I am a big fan and not a hater (for what I am about to say). For the corrupter, I'm on the fence and for the "fungal fiend" I'm just not sure at all (although I think it would be cool if you continued to mutate the fungal fiend over time). You might want to talk with your artist friends (if you have not already done so) whose honest opinions you trust and business people in the toy industry to give you some feedback (both positive and negative--because all positive is nice but not going to help you if you really want to be a success).

I am probably still going to be one of the funders because you are a heck of a talent (I'm still drooling over the custom Squadt you did) and I believe in you as a person and talent. Hope you take the above comments in the spirit they were intended.

Best of luck.

First of all, I take no offense to your comments, and I truly appreciate your honest feedback and support which is how I believe this comment was intended. Smile

Also, please don't fund it if you're not in love with the figure, I'd hate for you to regret the purchase if it's not your cup of tea. You can always just commission something from me that you really will love! Smile

I realize that this figure will not appeal to everybody, and honestly, I'm surprised at how many people have shown support for it so far (I'm not known for my optimism). The Corrupter design was not entered into lightly, I brewed on it for over a year before I ever even grabbed clay. I got feedback and input from dozens of freinds, artists, collectors, and other folks in the industry, not all positive btw.

I'd love to get your particular feedback on what you don't like about them, either through here or privately if you'd like. I always welcome criticism, and I never pretend to be too much of an "artist" to take other people's feedback into consideration. Smile

The rest of this may be more than you are looking for, but for those that are curious:

I asked a ton of questions about my goals, and what ideals I wanted my finished piece to represent. Is it dynamic? (i.e. not just a fat guy with his arms at his side.) Does it tell a story? (can you get an idea of what's going on even without reading about it?) Is it original (not another "munny" knock off.) does it positively impact the toy community? (Does it artistically stand in the upper tier of a production resin?) Does it have potential for customization? (will people be able to make cool things I can't imagine with it? Will I be able to do cool things with it?) Does it capture my signature style? etc....

There are a bunch of other considerations as well, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

My answer to most these questions before I ever launched my campaign was a confident "yes" despite being totally unsure of it being successful or not. As an artist, I've resigned myself to not being able to please everyone all the time, but I told myself early on that I would never put out a piece that I wouldn't stand behind, and the corrupter is no exception.

Some people have been creeped out by the fungal fiend, some find him too cute.
Some people hate the color purple, or the use of airbrushing on the figures.
Some think he's too detailed, other's think he's not detailed enough.

that's just part of the risk I decided to take by doing this whole thing (Admittedly, using kickstarter alleviated most of the financial risk, which is huge for a starving artist). The one thing I wanted to maintain regardless of the outcome, was the respect of my collectors and of the community as a whole, and I feel that, more than anything else rings true for me. Smile

Thanks again for the feedback and the support, and I hope my future works knock your socks off!

Josh f+

fplus
fplus
CAD Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: