COLLECT AND DESTROY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steps to customizing/painting a BUD?

5 posters

Go down

Steps to customizing/painting a BUD? Empty Steps to customizing/painting a BUD?

Post  CankleBreaker Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Customizers: what steps do you take to prep & paint your figures? I got a spare Gunsho BUD I wanna paint up. These are the only things I could think of or would do.

1. sand off current paint
2. primer
3. paint

Am I missing any important steps?

Last edited by CankleBreaker on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Steps to customizing/painting a BUD? Empty Re: Steps to customizing/painting a BUD?

Post  ianthegamer Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 am

nope. Last step would be to clear coat to protect that paint if wanted. I like the feel of the dry paint and dont clear coat at times but there are time i do. I try to coat with clear flat because i hate the gloss look. looks tacky to me
ianthegamer
ianthegamer
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Steps to customizing/painting a BUD? Empty Re: Steps to customizing/painting a BUD?

Post  CankleBreaker Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:08 am

Yea me too, its more gritty and rough feeling.
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  ianthegamer Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 am

yes. I love that feeling. Lets you know its been worked on. The dry texture gives it heart lol. Sometimes the smooth clear coat just makes it feel cheap lol. Clear coating does help hide brushstrokes however.
ianthegamer
ianthegamer
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:13 am

Gonna use my limited supply of left over spray paints to good use, no brush strokes here! albino

Ohh, what grit sand paper is good to use?
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  ROACHSHACK138 Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 am

You should try nail polish remover to get paint off before you sand. That way you dont have to sand too much down.
ROACHSHACK138
ROACHSHACK138
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 am

ROACHSHACK138 wrote:You should try nail polish remover to get paint off before you sand. That way you dont have to sand too much down.

Ohh thanks for the tip, will try.
CankleBreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  ianthegamer Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:21 am

i cant remember which i use off the top of my head. its def a soft grit.
Im curious if acetone removes the paint like it does on vinyl or will it eat at the plastic like if you were to use acetone on a bearbrick?

there are people that also just primer and skip the acetone or sanding as well.

There is no real wrong way to customize. Im actually going to customize a 9inch bud soon but it will be a blank so i dont need to prep Very Happy

make sure you show what you end up with here. Not very many customs being shown on this page. I loves me some custom work
ianthegamer
ianthegamer
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  ROACHSHACK138 Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 am

ianthegamer wrote:i cant remember which i use off the top of my head. its def a soft grit.
Im curious if acetone removes the paint like it does on vinyl or will it eat at the plastic like if you were to use acetone on a bearbrick?

there are people that also just primer and skip the acetone or sanding as well.

There is no real wrong way to customize. Im actually going to customize a 9inch bud soon but it will be a blank so i dont need to prep Very Happy

make sure you show what you end up with here. Not very many customs being shown on this page. I loves me some custom work

I was using 320 grit and it was too soft, did the job after awhile but u think 150 with a 320 finish will do nicely.
ROACHSHACK138
ROACHSHACK138
CAD Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post  ianthegamer Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 am

just make sure to finish off with a soft to smooth it out again
ianthegamer
ianthegamer
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  chiprender Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:49 am

Nobody mentioned inhaling deeply?!?!??!? Twisted Evil
chiprender
chiprender
CAD Too Buku

http://www.chipthompson.com

Back to top Go down

Post  edstuff Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:11 am

ROACHSHACK138 wrote:You should try nail polish remover to get paint off before you sand. That way you dont have to sand too much down.

Be extra extra careful with this step! I made the mistake of trying to use acetone and it starts to eat the plastic. You can actually get away with just sanding lightly and primer.
edstuff
edstuff
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  ianthegamer Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:05 am

edstuff wrote:

Be extra extra careful with this step! I made the mistake of trying to use acetone and it starts to eat the plastic. You can actually get away with just sanding lightly and primer.
thats what i was thinking would happen.
ianthegamer
ianthegamer
CAD Special Forces

Back to top Go down

Post  edstuff Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:08 am

It might be o.k. with nail polish cuz it's not as potent as acetone but you never know
edstuff
edstuff
CAD Too Buku

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down